Stanos, which is 8 km to the south of Arnaia, is a special village. It is known for its tidy aspect, the exceptional climate (at an altitude of 520 m.), the verdant surrounding landscape, the large plain to the west, and the joyous voices of children!
If they ask around, visitors will learn that the village in second in Greece for the most large families (with three or more children); and looking at the signs on the main road, they will notice that most inhabitants are in the construction business. Being excellent builders, naturally their own homes are well-appointed!
According to local historical sources and oral testimonies, there are many version regarding the name of the village. One is that it was named after one of Alexander the Great’s generals, Stanos, who passed by the village. Another version is that the name comes from the Latin “Stanus-a-um”, which means an area that retains water for a long time. A third version cites the name of some metal ore that came from an old mine at the “Halkoma” site. And according to a fourth version, it was named after the sheepfolds [stanes] kept by almost every family next to their homes.
During the Ottoman occupation, Stanos was incorporated into the community of Arnaia. It became a separate community in 1922.
Another particularity of Stanos is the local patron saint, Agia Haido, celebrated every year on 1 September. She was a neomartyr who was born and lived here under Ottoman rule. The church was built in recent years, on the initiative of parish priest Halkias Nikolaos with the contribution of the locals. On the eve of the feast, a celebratory evening service is held, and on the day of the feast there is a celebratory Divine Liturgy and procession of the holy icon, attended by the Metropolite and a host of other clergymen. Afterwards, the church holds the traditional “kourbani”, with free food for all.